Sunday, August 14, 2011

So, Would You Survive?

At two recent book club meet-ups, we've discussed "The Hunger Games" Trilogy. If you haven't read this trio of novels, you really need to do so - even though it is Young Adult Lit.

At the most recent discussion, the question arose of: "Do you think you would survive?" Survive what? The Hunger Games? Or any type of Apocalypse? Gut reaction to either: I'm toast. I can't run fast. I have only shot a gun twice in my life (thanks, Dad, for the self-protection lesson). I'm physically weak. I can only start a fire with a fire source. I'd probably eat the poisonous items in the forest. And I'd make myself sick with tainted water. No survival for me; I really hope my family is not depending on me.

So, I should really start learning some survival skills, eh?

Let's start with Wood-Working:

I bought some wall-size letters of my sons' initials to paint and decorate for their room. I am known to have lots of creative ideas, however my hands lack the creative follow-through. These turned out decent: not what I imagined, but not terrible either. Check 'em out:

Ian's theme includes a Monkey (that's my nickname for him),
a Lion, and a Palm Tree

Connor's theme includes a Jolly Roger, a Pirate Ship,
and a Treasure Chest (since he loves pirates!)


Next is Gardening:

A few years ago I showed my friends Brendan and Cathy how to use peet pods to start seedlings that can then be planted anywhere: planters, boxes, or in the ground. What started as a few herbs has now become about 1/3 of his backyard covered in herb, vegetable, and berry plants. I am guaranteed that sometime during each visit I will hear: "This is YOUR fault!" coming from Brendan's mouth. He has yet to let me down.

Prior to my latest visit, I was required to bring a basket to take some "surplus" home with me. So, I came home with a basket full of tomatoes. I forgot to take a picture of the basket full of tomatoes before prepping them for cooking, so you'll just have to use your imagination once you see the pics further down the blog.


On to Sustainability:

Over the past few years, I have become a true "label-reader" when I am purchasing groceries, to the point that I realize I can make most of the items healthier and with less cost than purchasing them prepackaged. So I try to "make" more items or "grow" more items than "purchase" items. Since we just completed fencing the back yard, I did not start my garden this year, however I have BIG plans for the next planting season. I have been supporting the local farm, including some wonderful and HUGE zucchinis recently.

The tomatoes became Marinara that I can freeze and use this winter. Here was the process:

First Step: Peel and Seed the tomatoes while retaining the juice.

Second step: Caramelize onions, add garlic, herbs, and wine, and simmer for a few hours.

And then you have Marinara.

The zucchini became three types of bread (and I still have 1 cup remaining!)
From left: Zucchini Bread, Blueberry Zucchini Bread, 
and Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread

So, given rough materials (wood, paint, vegetables) I can make things that are mood-lifting and tasty.

Still would not help me survive during horrible circumstances, but at least I will die with a full stomach surrounded by silly crafty things that make me happy.

3 comments:

  1. That marinara and zucchini breads look so yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great new blog! Looking forward to reading more!

    newest GFC follower! Stopping by from the Monday hop! Would love a follow back and say hello!
    http://www.mysocalblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading The Hunger Games right now!! I'm only on the first book, but boy it is good.

    My husband and I are really trying to be come independent. We have our own garden starting and I'm continuing to learn about canning and storing foods.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower of yours! :)

    Marlana
    http://storywritermama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete